Here is how you can convert a QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac
In the last decade, QuickBooks have gained immense popularity among small and medium businesses. It is known to be one of the best accounting software available today because of its avant-garde features like managing the finances and payroll, tracking expenses, generating reports, handling invoices and more. It is often said that this application has changed the way accounting is done and thereby making business operations smoother. A great thing is that Intuit launches a newer version of QuickBooks every year that have new and improved features. Another benefit of this application is that you can easily get support services for any error or query
Often users get stuck in converting QuickBooks for a Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac and in this blog, we will discuss it in detail. Below is the process of converting a QuickBooks for a Windows file to Mac. So, keep read on!
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Web Connector Error QBWC1085?
Steps to Convert a QuickBooks for Windows file to Mac
Learn how to convert a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:
Step 1: On Windows Computer
- The first thing to do is update QuickBooks for Desktop for Windows to the recent release.
- Now you have to open the file as administrator
- After that go to the File menu and then choose Utilities and then select Copy Company File for QuickBooks Mac. Then follow the instructions mentioned on the screen. A MAC.qbb backup file will be created by QuickBooks
- A message will appear which says It looks like ‘QuickBooks for Windows might be a better fit for your company,” You have to ensure what data hasn’t been converted from Windows and if you want to go ahead then select Yes.
- Once done, go to the folder you want to save the file in and then name the file and then choose Save. Do not use any special characters in the file name
- After this you have to move the file to Mac by using any kind of storage device like USB flash drive etc.
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 77?
Step 2: Restore MAC.qbb backup file on Mac
The MAC.qbb file is basically a copy of QuickBooks Desktop company file that can be restored in QuickBooks for Mac. Below are the steps how you can do it.
- The first thing to do is to update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the recent release by Intuit
- Then you have to close QuickBooks
- After this copy the backup file to the documents folder on your Mac
- Now reopen QuickBooks Desktop for Mac and then choose file followed by Open Company
- Choose the MAC.qbb file and then choose Open tab
- Once done, select the OK tab when you are asked if you want to restore a QuickBooks for a Windows file
- Now add the name of the restored file and then select Save
Data that’s converted to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
|1099 categories||Account list (chart of accounts)||Admin password||All list reports|
|Audit trail||Budgets||Classes||Contacts data|
|Item list||Job types list||Job types list|
|Custom field definitions||Customer list||Customer message list||Customer type list|
|Employee list (notes will not be converted)||History of QuickBooks versions used with the data file||Links between pay items and other items||Memorized transactions|
|Multiple estimates per job||Notes||Other names list (without notes)||Payment method list|
|Payment terms list||Vendor list (notes will not be converted)||Shipping via list||Vendor type list|
|To do list (alerts will not be converted)||Preferences |
#: Company name and address
#: Which features are enabled
|Job costing data (available in QuickBooks Desktop Mac using Job Profitability reports)||Income and expense tracking by class (available in QuickBooks for Mac using Profit & Loss by Class reports)|
|Reconcile||Reminders (alerts will not be converted)||Shipping via list||Time and activity records|
|To do list (alerts will not be converted)||Transaction statistics||Vehicle list||Vendor list (notes will not be converted)|
|Vendor type list||Transactions and their links:||Deposits, Bills||Invoices, Payments, Transfers|
Unsupported report filters
The below report filters do not work with QuickBooks for Mac. It should be noted that the balances of memorized reports that were created with the help of filters won’t match balances in the original data file.
|Name Email||Paid Thru||Sales Tax Code|
|Template||Online Status||Printed Status|
|Voided||Workers Comp Code||Is Adjustment|
The below reports will not be supported by QuickBooks desktop for Mac. In order to use them, the user can create most of the reports using the customization filtering, and memorization features in QuickBooks for Mac.
- Profit & Loss Unclassified
- Open Purchase Orders by Job
- Sales Tax Revenue Summary
- Pending Builds
- Income Tax Preparation
- Profit & Loss Budget Performance
- Fixed Asset Listing
- All payroll and workers comp reports
- Voided/Deleted Transactions (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Voided/Deleted Transactions History (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Closing Date Exception (available only in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Open Sales Orders by Customers (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Open Sales Orders by Item (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Adjusted Trial Balance (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Adjusting Journal Entries (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Forecast Overview (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
- Forecast vs. Actual (available in Premier versions of QuickBooks for Windows)
If you get stuck in the conversion process of QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac, then you can always seek assistance from QuickBooks desktop support team by dialing toll-free 1(844)405-0906. Experienced and trained experts are available 24/7 to guide with any QuickBooks related queries.