QuickBooks is one of the finest accounting software in the market. It comes with some great features and functionalities. The only drawback of the QuickBooks software is the errors that it brings in. Today, we will be discussing the payroll update error 12031, its causes, and its fixes. This article is an all-inclusive guide on the processes to troubleshoot QuickBooks update error 12031, covering all possible causes of the error. Thus, if you are also facing such an error, then read this article carefully, and unleash the causes and fixes of the QuickBooks error 12031.
However, if you are seeking for technical assistance, then contact our certified QuickBooks pro technical support professionals right away at our toll-free support number i.e. 1-844-405-0906. We are a hub of technically sound accounting professionals, who work round the clock to provide the best possible support services. Do not hesitate in calling us anytime, we will be happy to help you.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12029?
What is QuickBooks error code 12031?
QuickBooks update error 12031 might happen when a client in QuickBooks makes an attempt to refresh the QuickBooks or when refreshing a QuickBooks payroll service. This error usually occurs due to network timeout that restricts QuickBooks from accessing the server. Moreover, the user also encounters this due to firewall or some other security issues. This is common error that demands instant solution. When the error message appears on the screen, the user needs to check the network connection and anti-virus settings, the user needs to check if the issue is resolved. For more information, make sure to read the post carefully.
Causes of QuickBooks update error 12031
Before you unleash the fixations of the QuickBooks error 12031, it is better to understand the causes of this error. Let us have a look:
- Internet connection: One of the major causes of this error can be the internet connection. Many times, the internet works on alternate connections, and this stops proper software working and leads to such an error
- The network timeout: In case the server is taking too long to respond on a particular command and then causes of the software to stop responding
- Internet or firewall security settings: Many times, the internet or firewall security settings blocks connection or pages required for the software to download an update
- Default Browser: In case the internet explorer is not set as the default browser, then this might restrict the software functioning properly and causes errors.
Methods to fix the QuickBooks payroll update error 12031
Now that you know all facts related to this error, it is the right time to learn the fixations measures for this error. Let us check out each of the methods one by one:
- The very first step is to open the menu for internet connection setup available in QuickBooks
- And then, click on Internet properties
- After this, the user will see various tabs in the internet properties
- Now, from the available selections, the user needs to click on advanced tab
- The next step is to ensure that the advanced setting matches
- Followed by clicking on apply tab
- And then click on OK button and also close the window
- The last step is to close QuickBooks and then open it again and then try the payroll update process again
- In this particular method, the user needs to close QuickBooks
- After that click on internet explorer
- And then, click on tools and then click on internet options
- The next step is to click on security tab and also click on globe icon. The user needs to ensure that the security setting for this zone is up to medium high only and not higher than that
- Moving ahead, click on the content tab and then ensure that the content advisor tab
- Now, press the tab, in case it says disable and then enter the password and then disable the content advisor
- The user will then have to click on the connections tab and then carry out the steps below:
- Now, choose never dial a connection option
- And then use the dial up node and then ensure that the correct ISP is selected
- The next step is to click on OK
- And also, press LAN settings
- Also, ensure that automatically detect settings option is checked
- And then verify use a proxy server checkbox is clear
- Moving ahead, when there is a checkmark done, then use the proxy server. Also, document the complete address and port
- In case the port is other than port 80, then do not uncheck use a proxy. And, also use the proxy box for testing purposes. In case the port is Port 80, then you can uncheck
- And also, on the LAN settings and hit OK
- After that select the advanced
- The user needs to click on restore advanced settings
- And also, in the settings, scroll down to find the USE TLS 1.0, USE 1.1, and USE QuickBooks TLS 1.2 options
- Also, ensure that USE TLS 1.0 is checked and also USE TLS 1.2 is not
- The user is then required to click on OK and close the internet options window
- And also, close Internet explorer and reboot the system
- The last step is to open QuickBooks and try to update again and check if the issue is resolved
- In this particular method, the user needs to firstly click on update now tab
- And then, select the reset update checkbox and then click on get updates option
In case the program update doesn’t work, then the below steps should be followed:
- The very first step is to check the internet connection
- And then check to configure the internet security and then personal firewall applications for QuickBooks updates
- The last step is to start Microsoft windows in the safe mode and also download it again.
- This is the last method, where the user needs to click on help
- And then, click on the internet connections setup
- The next step is to click on option “Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when the app accesses the internet”
- After that click on next and then hit OK
Now update again
- If you are using the QuickBooks 2008 and later version, then you need to select Help, and then click on update QuickBooks and also update now
- Or if you are having QuickBooks 2006 and earlier version, then you need to select file and then click on update QuickBooks and also select update now tab.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15222?
Carrying out the above steps can be of great help in getting rid of the QuickBooks error 12031. However, if the error is still annoying you, or if you are having any query, then getting in touch with a professional is recommended.
You can consult to our QuickBooks support team and certified ProAdvisors, and they will help you in dealing with the error without any mess. You can call us at our toll-free support number i.e. 1-844-405-0906, and leave the rest on our experts.